PWRI Outline

History of the Civil Engineering Research Institute for Cold Region (Hokkaido)

Aug. 1937 Founded as the Testing Laboratory of the Civil Engineering Department, Hokkaido Prefectural Government
Sep. 1947 Became independent as the Hokkaido Civil Engineering Institute
July 1950 Eatablished six divisions (River and Port Engineering, Road, Structure, Dam, Geology and Machinery)
July 1951 Attached to the newly established Hokkaido Development Bureau and renamed as Civil Engineering Research Institute
Apr. 1959 Established Three divisions (Applied Science, Soil Conservation and Special Soil Development)
Dam Division was renamed Geotechnical Division, and Machinery Division was closed
Apr. 1962 River and Port Engineering Division was divided into two divisions; River Engineering and Port and Harbor Engineering
Apr. 1964 Established Concrete Division
Apr. 1966 Established Pavement Division
Apr. 1968 Established Foundation Work Division
May 1972 System of three Directors changed to system of four Directors
Apr. 1978 Established General Affairs Department
Apr. 1979 Established Fisheries Engineering Division
Apr. 1985 Special Soil Development Division was reorganized into Agricultural Engineering Division
May 1985 Established Various research programs (Joint Research, Commissioned Research, Admission of Temporary Researchers and Specially Assigned Trainees)
Apr. 1986 Established Research Coordinator
Apr. 1988 Reorganized the entire body
Apr. 2001 Renamed the Independent Administrative Institution Civil Engineering Research Institute of Hokkaido
Apr. 2003 Established Director for Special Research